Here is the picture for the month of May (love Bjorn's doggy jumper !) from my 2015 Abba calendar...
Thursday, 30 April 2015
Today I have been listening to this double Greatest Hits album from Japan - as well as having all of the early singles there are lots of great album tracks including "Another Town, Another Train", "I've Been Waiting For You" and "Gonna Sing You My Lovesong".
Wednesday, 29 April 2015
When I visited the "Abbaworld" exhibition whilst it was in London my credit card had a work out when it came to the gift shop - one of the items I bought was a pack of note / greetings cards - the image below shows the front and back of the packaging...
Tuesday, 28 April 2015
Monday, 27 April 2015
The first edition of the Frida Fan Club magazine was published in April 1985 and included the following content -
- An introduction from the author welcoming readers to the magazine as well as discussing the aims of the Fan Club.
- An extract from a Swedish press article from 1984 where Frida talks about recording "Shine", her song writing as well as living in London.
- A fans account of seeing Frida as the "Chess" concert in London on the 27th October the previous year.
- An article which details Frida's trips to Holland during the promotion for her "Shine" album where she appeared on two TV shows performing "Shine" as well as "Come To Me (I Am Woman)".
- A small article mentioning Frida's son Hans where he discussed working with Abba during the tours of America and Australia and his last album (with his group FX) called "Push Here" which included a track written by Frida titled "I Don't Wanna Be Alone".
Sunday, 26 April 2015
On the 27th April 1979 Abba released their latest single "Does Your Mother Know" in the UK. The single entered the charts at number 19 before jumping up to number 4 where it stayed for 3 weeks. The top five in the UK w/c 6th May 1979 was as follows -
- Art Garfunkel - "Bright Eyes"
- M - "Pop Muzik"
- Boney M - "Hooray, Hooray, It's A Holi-Holiday"
- Abba - "Does Your Mother Know"
- Racey - "Some Girls"
Outside the UK the single was also a big hit reaching number one in Belgium ; other chart positions are shown below -
- Number 3 - Ireland
- Number 4 - Netherlands
- Number 6 - Switzerland
- Number 7 - Australia
- Number 8 - Canada
- Number 9 - Zimbabwe
- Number 10 - Germany
- Number 12 - South Africa
- Number 13 - Austria
- Number 17 - Mexico
- Number 19 - USA
Saturday, 25 April 2015
Friday, 24 April 2015
On the 25th April 2004 Agnetha's new album "My Colouring Book" entered the UK album chart at number 12. At this point this was Agnetha's most successful solo chart position in the UK - previously her highest charting album was "Wrap Your Arms Around Me" which reached number 18 in 1983.
However her 2013 album "A" would climb even higher than both of these reaching peaking at number 6.
Outside of the UK the album reached the top 30 in 8 countries ; the chart positions are shown below -
- 1 - Sweden
- 2 - Finland
- 6 - Germany
- 5 - Denmark
- 11 - Netherlands
- 17 - Switzerland
- 25 - Austria
- 25 - Norway
Thursday, 23 April 2015
Wednesday, 22 April 2015
Here are some pictures of Frida's CD and DVD box set from my collection ; the set includes four CDs ("Ensam", "Something's Going On", "Shine" and "Djupa Andetag") plus a DVD containing the following -
- An interview with Frida which was filmed in the summer of 2005, in Zermatt, Switzerland
- A documentary about the making of the "Something's Going On" album
- A TV documentary filmed during the recording of "Djupa Andetag"
- Promotional videos for Frida's singles
Tuesday, 21 April 2015
The image below is from the Daily Express newspaper in the UK yesterday which featured a picture of Frida and Agnetha on the front page and a small article regarding Frida's upcoming 70th birthday in the entertainment section...
Monday, 20 April 2015
On the 21st April 1984 the compilation album "From Abba With Love" entered the charts in the Netherlands where it spent 11 weeks peaking at number 6. The album included a mix of Abba singles, album tracks as well as Frida and Agnetha solo tracks.
- One Of Us
- Lay All Your Love On Me
- The Winner Takes It All
- Head Over Heels
- To Turn The Stone (Frida)
- My Love, My Life
- Wrap Your Arms Around Me (Agnetha)
- The Day a Before You Came
- Slipping Through My Fingers
- Thank You For The Music
Sunday, 19 April 2015
Issue 10 of the Agnetha Fan Club magazine was published during February 1986 and included the following content -
- News that Abba had recently appeared together for a "This Is Your Life" style TV show for Stig where they performed "Tivedshambo"
- Details of the "Gemini" album that had recently been released which included seven tracks written by Bjorn and Benny including "Slowly" and "Just Like That"
- An interesting article over four pages titled "Agnetha - In Her Own Write !" which covers Agnetha's song writing from 1968 to her post-Abba solo albums
- Details of how the Fan Club members could contribute to a "Birthday Book" which was being created for Agnetha