Monday 7 October 2013

ABBA Date - 8th October 1982

On the 8th 1982 October ABBA released their latest 7" single "The Day Before You Came" which reached number 32 in the UK - their lowest chart position since "I Do I Do I Do I Do" which reached number 38 in 1975.

The single did better in other countries reaching number 2 in Finland, number 3 in Sweden and Belgum and number 4 in Switzerland.

This is probably my second favourite ABBA track (after "The Winner Takes It All") and it's a little sad that it didn't do quite so well in the UK charts however at that time I don't believe anything ABBA released would have done well as the general record buying public had moved on. Although of course they would eventually come back....

The single also had one of my favourite videos where I think Agnetha showed her acting talents...
In some countries the single was also released as a 12" although the actual running time was exactly the same as the 7" single.

Two years after ABBA released the single the UK the British synth group Blancmange released a version which did slightly better in the UK chart reaching number 22. I remember buying the 12" version of this and loved the middle section which at the time was probably the first remix of an ABBA song I had ever heard.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment